Why does belt tension matter?
- Too little tension results in slippage, excess heat squeak noise, and premature the belt & pulley wear
- Too much tension results in excessive stress on belts, bearings, and shafts, leading to early life failure.
It’s necessary to check belt tension after 500 miles with a new belt and then every 5,000 miles thereafter.
How to check the belt tension?
To check the belt tension, you will need a specialty tool.
The tool you’re looking for is appropriately named a belt tension gauge form KiWAV.
All you need is following these steps:
- Set motorcycle upright.
- Put transmission in neutral.
- Allow vehicle to cool.
- Remove all load (rider, passenger and cargo).
- Remove the main fuse.
- Slide small o-ring to 10 lbs mark.
- Place the gauge squarely against belt at center and keep it at a 90-degree angle to the belt surface.
- Push up until small o-ring touches tool body.
- Check belt tension specifications. (There are some models’ specifications below)
- If the belt deflects more/less than specified, tighten/loosen the belt and job done.
Belt Tension Deflection Table
Recommended belt tension deflection of some common brands:
|Brand||Model||Force||Deflection||OEM gauge part #|
|Harley Davidson||All except FLHX/S, FLTRX/S and Low models
*(standard shock absorbers)
|10 lbs||3/8"~9/16" (9.5~14.3 mm)||HD35381A|
|Harley Davidson||FLHX/S, FLTRX/S, and Low models
*(low profile shock absorbers)
|10 lbs||1/4"~7/16" (6.4~11.1 mm)||HD35381A|
|Harley Davidson||Sportster||10 lbs||1/4"~5/16" (6.4~7.9 mm)||HD35381A|
|Harley Davidson||XG 500/750||10 lbs||1/2" (12.72 mm)/td>||HD35381A|
|Indian||Scout||10 lbs||0.472" (12mm) (+/- .5)||PV-43532|
|Triumph||Thunderbird||10 lbs||On side stand:
5.5 to 7.0 mm(0.20 to 0.27 in)
On Support stand T3880803:
7.5 to 9.0 mm(0.30 to 0.35 in)
|Victory||Octane||10 lbs||0.472" (12mm) (+/- .5)||PV-43532|
|Victory||Vegas||10 lbs||0.472" (12mm) (+/- .5)||PV-43532|
There are many more helpful small tools out there. Things that make you go Ah-Ha!
Not expensive, but very helpful.
If you're interested, subscribe to us and you'll receive the hottest news straight to your inbox.